Parents/Guardians and Graduating Senior:
Interim Guidance for Graduation Celebrations During the COVID-19 State of
Emergency Updated June 14, 2020, from the Office of Governor Cuomo and the NYS
Department of Health:
“Starting June 26, 2020, Outdoor In-Person Ceremonies May Occur with The Following Restrictions:
- Ceremony must take place outdoors,
and all attendees must remain outdoors at all times, with the exception of
- As of June 7, 2020, in-person
gatherings for the purposes of a graduation ceremony are restricted to a
maximum of 150 individuals (including all students, guests, teachers,
administrators, and staff).
- All attendees at the gathering are
required to remain six feet apart from other attendees at all times,
excluding immediate family members or household members.
- All attendees at the gathering must wear a mask or face covering at all times, if they are over age two and able to medically tolerate a covering.”
The faculty, staff, administration and Board of Education of Hancock Central School are proud of the Class of 2020, and we are planning the graduation ceremony for June 26, 2020, at 10:00 AM, on the HCS football field. The rain date for graduation is Saturday, June 27, 2020, at 10:00 AM, on the HCS football field. We look forward to seeing you at this culminating event of the school year. Graduation is a formal event, staged as much for parents/guardians and grandparents as for the graduates. We ask parents/guardians to support the faculty and administration in our efforts to make graduation a more memorable and impressive occasion by discussing the appropriate dress and behavioral expectations with your son or daughter as detailed below:
- Traditional dress for academic graduation is the tassel,
cap and gown.
- Students should select clothing and shoes customarily worn at formal occasions (collared shirt and tie and long trousers for boys; an appropriate dress or nice top and slacks for girls). Sneakers, work-boots and flip-fops are not appropriate footwear for the ceremony. Students will process onto the football field. To ensure student safety, shoes with high heels are discouraged.
- Graduates will be provided Class of 2020 face
- Students will arrive at 9:30 AM, dressed in caps
and gowns prior to arrival.
- Graduates are encouraged to use restrooms prior
to arriving on the HCSD campus.
- Students will be dropped off in front of the HS
MS, nearest the flagpole, and will proceed on foot to the courtyard area
at the rear of the building.
- Per New York State Department of Health and Governor’s Executive Orders, outdoor graduations may not exceed a total occupancy of 150. Therefore, graduates are permitted two ticketed guests. Guests will present tickets at the graduation ceremony.
- Guest parking will be at the Hancock Elementary School overflow lot across from the gymnasium. Those requiring parking for the disabled should contact the HS MS Main Office at (607) 637-1305, prior to June 25, 2020.
- Students will be removed from the graduation
ceremony if found to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Students may not carry anything into the graduation ceremony. Personal items will be left with family/guests until after the ceremony. (This includes purses, cell phones, cameras, flowers, etc.).
- All students will be directed to empty their pockets while in the courtyard prior to the graduation ceremony. Contraband will be taken from the students.
- If your behavior disrupts the graduation
ceremony, you will be removed and excluded from the remainder of the
Upon exiting the HCS football field via the gate nearest the scoreboard, students are to return their graduation gowns and sashes. Students may keep their caps, cords and tassels.
Following commencement, students will proceed, socially distanced, to the HES parking lot to depart school grounds with family/guests. Congregation in the parking lot or anywhere on school grounds is prohibited.
Guests of Graduates
- Guests of graduates will be seated on the home
team bleachers, in socially distanced sections.
- MASKS OR FACE COVERINGS ARE
- All guests are required to remain six feet apart
from other attendees at all times, excluding immediate family members or
- Refreshments will not be served.
- Guests are encouraged to use restrooms prior to
arriving on the HCSD campus.
On behalf of the faculty, staff, administration, and Board of Education, we look forward to seeing you on June 26, 2020. If you have any questions, you may call the HS MS Main Office at 637-1305.
Julie Bergman, PreK-12 Principal